My Blog List

Friday, March 21, 2014

Chinese literature


We mainly discussed and learned about Chinese Literature for this quarter. It is difficult for many of my classmates to understand the meaning of that because there are so many differences between different countries, especially China and America, even with two different languages and totally different backgrounds. I actually enjoy learning about all these stuff because I could get a chance to see how our cultures are understood by other people. Three periods are introduced: early, middle period and Tang poetry. Confucius is the typical literature work for the early time, he acclaimed "wu'chang"and"li"to teach people become gentleman through their actions and minds. Poets in middle age like Tao yuanming talked about countryside life and advocated Taoism, getting a natural life without disturbing of money or addiction. Tang poetry are usually described with magnificent scenery because people were wealth at that time, having lives without worry or sadness. My favorite poet is Li‘po because he is brilliant. He is funny because he could write better poems with drinking. Alcohol brought him more inspiration. I appreciate his poem because they were written with fantastic imagery. There is a strong element of Taoism in his works, both in the sentiments they express and in their spontaneous tone, and "many of his poems deal with mountains, often descriptions of ascents that midway modulate into journeys of the imagination, passing from actual mountain scenery to visions of nature deities, immortals, and 'jade maidens' of Taoist lore. Also, his work was not sad as Dufu did. Lipo wanted to help the country and had social ambition but was shown that much in his work while Dufu's poems made me feel disappointed and desperate. The following poem is the most famous one written by Li'po, even children from kindergarten recite it. It is short but meaningful, talking about his nostalgia and reminds me to think about my home when I am here:
A Quiet Night Thought
Moonlight before my bed
Perhaps frost on the ground.
Lift my head and see the moon
Lower my head and pine for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment